Ethylene Glycol Poisoning

Definition - What does Ethylene Glycol Poisoning mean?

Ethylene Glycol Poisoning is toxicological problem caused due to the consumption of ethylene glycol, which is a colorless and fragrance-free chemical found in many products such as detergents, paints, cosmetics, and antifreeze. The major symptoms of the ingestion are convulsions, nausea, or vomiting. Moreover, an overdose can make the patient to be in a coma or it can damage the liver, brain, lungs or even kidneys. The poisoning can disturb the chemistry of one’s body including metabolic acidosis.

Petropedia explains Ethylene Glycol Poisoning

Ethylene Glycol is generally found in radiator coolant, motor oil, brake fluid, and automotive antifreeze. The signs of Ethylene Glycol Poisoning can only be noticed after a few minutes of ingestion. It is one of the dangerous compounds as it affects the three prime systems of a human body, i.e., metabolic processes, central nervous system, and kidneys. However, the reactions can be seen within 24 to 72 hours after consumption. It is mainly caused due to the presence of glycolic acid. When using antifreeze products, one should make sure that the containers are properly marked and sealed off after use.

Connect with us

Petropedia on Linkedin
Petropedia on Linkedin
Tweat cdn.petropedia.com
"Petropedia" on Twitter


'@petropedia_com'
Sign up for Petropedia's Free Newsletter!

Email Newsletter

Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter