Definition - What does Mesozoic Era mean?
The Mesozoic Era is a geological time scale representing an era over 252 to 66 million years consisting of three distinct periods, i.e., Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous. Generally this era is also called the Age of Reptiles as it was dominated by reptiles.The Mesozoic Era lasted about 186 million years. The word Mesozoic means "middle animal".
Petropedia explains Mesozoic Era
The Mesozoic era is roughly 186 million years from 252 million to 66 million years ago. The oldest to youngest periods are as follows:
- Triassic (252 to 201 million years ago from present)
- Jurassic (201 to 145 million years ago from present)
- Cretaceous (145 to 66 million years ago from present)
Mesozoic fossil localities are listed below:
- Ethiopia – Blue Nile George
- New Mexico – Clayton Lake
- Argentina – Ischigualasto
- California – Pt. Loma Formation
- South Africa – Karoo Basin
- Germany – Solnhofen Limestone
Unlocking Unconventional Energy Potential Through Hydraulic Fracturing